Thursday 24 October 2013

Blackwater Tubing & Kloofing – Storms river, Tsitsikamma forest, South Africa

Kitted up and ready to go – well, almost – the water was so cold that we were advised to double up on wetsuits!....mine were far too baggy, and my shoes had holes in and the helmet kept slipping over my eyes, meanwhile Matt managed to somehow look rather gorgeous in his wetsuits! 

We hopped on the back of a pick-up truck and in true South African style we sped through the indigenous forest, the windy rain blowing in our faces and the occasional splatter of muddy puddles and passing branches! It was a bumpy ride! Our guides, Tate and Richard were very entertaining though at one point I hadn’t a clue where Moses, the driver was going! We came to a sudden stop in the middle of nowhere and jumped off and grabbed a rubber ring. After a steep hike down to the river, we jumped in backwards into the water. It was deep, completely black and absolutely ice cold! It was deep red in the shallows, coloured from the tanin (the same stuff that’s in red wine and tea). Hitting the water fast, it took my breath away, the bones in my hands ached from the cold!

The first jump (kloof) was 5m. After conquering the world’s highest bungee yesterday at 216m, 5m was nothing! After watching everyone else do it, I plucked up the courage and climbed up the steep cliff. Richard stopped me at the top and warned me seriously about the rocks below and that all I had to do was jump out away from the cliff. After a short countdown I ran towards the edge but without thinking I just stepped off. I fell just centimetres away from the rocks below. Everyone held their breaths, It was so cold and I hit the water so fast, I was in complete shock and was hardly able to catch my own breath, my hands were red and stinging from the impact. I struggled back onto my ring as fast as I possibly could only for Richard to chuck me off again, a friendly way of saying ‘at least your alive! you idiot!’ And with that, I summersaulted under the water!

That was it for me – no more kloofing! Matt was brave, he did all the jumps; he is so confident in the water even though his ring had a hole and kept deflating underneath him! The water was deep and so dark but very fresh and drinkable. The rapids were fast flowing and so much fun to tube along. The scenery was epic! Tate said I was a reckless driver but I felt like I couldn't control my speed, I'm only little and light so the rapids carried me and I slipped over the rocks! There were times when we all became stuck, beached on the larger rocks. Once I gained my confidence I enjoyed the rapids and felt more in control. Matt was cruising along without a worry in the world! At times it was relaxing, floating on the Stormsriver. There were lots of reeds, beautiful birds and overhanging trees, the mountains were tall and cast long shadows over the water, we felt rather insignificant in comparison. At times I was scared, giant, silvery spider webs hung low in the trees and we spotted spiders walking on the water. Pretty incredible really.

We played around a lot trying to tip each other, or escape from Tate and Richard. It was hard work paddling, but what an incredible experience. The guides opened up a sandwhich box towards the end and gave us all a Mars bar in the water – just what we craved! We walked over rocks and negotiated slippery rapids, what a great way to see the explore Tsitsikamma forest. Exhausted, we jumped back into the pick-up and hitched a ride home with Moses, spotting a family of baboons along the way.  


What an adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment